Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Baked Chimichanga's



I’ve been seeing a few recipes on Pinterest for baked Chimichanga’s. I absolutely LOVE Chimichanga’s but definitely don’t need all the fat from being fried. I wasn’t sure how baked one’s would taste but decided to take a gamble! They turned out AWESOME and were a big hit at our house. You know something is good when the entire dinner table is quiet. I did make the Pinterest recipe my own and now I wish I had taken more pics along the way. Also, I don’t really measure anything when I cook so bear with me on spice and/or measurements, I’m a sprinkle it until it looks good girl. Lol!

Ingredients:
1 package of large flour tortillas (my package held 8)
5-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 8oz package shredded pepper jack cheese
1 tub of whipped cream cheese
1 small can of diced mild green chilies
1 can of mild green enchilada sauce
1 tbsp of sour cream
Taco Spices (cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, pepper, onion powder, dried oregano, salt)
3 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves finely chopped (I promise you won’t taste this and it’s great for the kids!)
½ Red Bell pepper chopped
Fresh chopped Cilantro
1 tbsp of Canola Oil

Directions:
On a plate season your chicken with your taco spices, place chicken on a hot grill and grill until done. Once cooked chop and set aside. In a sauce pan heat your enchilada sauce, add a tbsp of sour cream and stir well. In a separate bowl add entire container of cream cheese, 4 oz of shredded cheese, diced chilies, red bell pepper, spinach, chopped cilantro, taco spices and chopped chicken. Mix well. Once mixed fill flour tortillas (make sure and fold over, fold in sides and fold over again) with mixture and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment. When all tortillas are filled brush lightly with cooking oil and place in a 350 degree oven for approx. 25 mins. Then if not crispy enough place under the broiler until a soft tan color forms. To serve place on a plate, top with enchilada sauce, some additional shredded cheese and chopped cilantro (I did some small tomatoes too). ENJOY!!




PS. We had enough to eat another night. I wasn’t sure how well they would heat up but they were great! Placed back in the oven for approx. 35 mins and they crisped right back up!

No comments:

Post a Comment