Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Fake Cake

Today my gorgeous boys had their one year pictures with the same photographer that did their newborn pics. I can not wait to get the proofs!!!! I knew I wanted a cake in their pictures but not the mess of a real cake. Here enters the fake cake!! It's amazing what you can do with wood, clay, acrylic paint, plaster compound and hot glue!! 
 
First, my wonderful husband made me some wood boxes. When I explained my idea he was all ready to help me!! Love his support in my craft adventures!! 

Next I got out my supply of polymer clay. I also splurged and got a clay extruder to help make rope!! I can also see this being useful with fondant!! 

I spent a Saturday afternoon making "waves" and rope. 

I also made all this by free hand :) 

Next, I mixed premade plaster compound with acrylic paint until I got my desired color. I "iced my boxes with a pretty heavy layer. I went back 24hrs later and touched up any cracks. 

The final product after hot gluing each layer, decorations and piping plaster compound (used my Wilton icing tools and made sure to wash well afterwards). I LOVE how it turned out!!! I can't wait to use it as a table centerpiece at their party and see it in their pictures!! I plan to have real cupcakes surround it! 





2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is amazing!! I wish I had the imagination to do that kind of stuff and the skill to pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You did such an awesome job!!! That is beyond cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete