Friday, May 2, 2014

Chore Chart

My kids get out of school in 21days. I have been scurrying around trying to finish birthday stuff, plan a baby shower, gather summer craft items and thinking about things to keep my little bees busy this summer. I don't know about your kids but mine get bored so easily if they don't have an electronic device in their hands. They have a hard time understanding why I won't let them play it 24/7. Honestly, there are moments I just want to throw the Wii and the tablets out the window. Riley and I discussed that the kids are old enough to start helping me with some daily chores in order to earn time to play these devices. As well as have extra help and give them "busy" work. In the past the kids have really only helped with laundry or if we asked them to go put this away or come do this. After much debate I decided that I had to let some things go and let them help to make things run smoother, plus it's a very good teachable moment. Let it go, let it goooooo... Whoops I've seen Frozen to many times. :).  With that I set out to make the perfect chore chart for us. I wanted it to include daily reminders as well as rewards and fun surprises. I spend a ton of evenings on Pinterest looking at other peoples charts! Does anyone else get sucked into Pinterest like I do? I also got to looking at the Hobby Lobby ad and realized most of the supplies were 50% off. The only thing not on sale were the magnets.

First, I got onto Picmonkey and made my circles/chores. I used a 1 inch punch to punch them out.

I used mounting squares to attach them to bottle caps. Then resin clear stickers to protect the paper. 

Attached 1/2" round adhesive craft magnets to the back.

I also bought chalk board scrapbook stickers and took the adhesive foam off the back. Then used a 3/4 inch magnet on the back. The frames are simply 12x12 scrapbook paper that looks like chalk board with a frame around it. I used magnets on the back of this too since I was putting it on my freezer. The NEGATIVE part of the craft magnets are great for the scrapbook paper corners. I hated to waste perfectly good magnets.

The bottle caps to the left of the frame are their incentives to "make their day!" 


I included two special bottle caps! I thought how fun to wake up and see mom is taking us to the Burger Box (their favorite place to eat) or that it's craft day! Oh and the "straight shoes" is for our shoe rack because we don't wear shoes in the house in most cases. The kids just sling their shoes on the rack and I am always after them to go straighten it.

It looks like a lot of chores but I also have things like Read 20-30, Plan Dinner, Cook Dinner and Journal 10. As well as some chores aren't every day. I bought them each journals to spend 10 mins or so drawing or writing about their day, craft, yesterday, etc. I plan to also make journal starter conversation sticks but I haven't gotten to that yet, lol. For the dinners I plan to let ONE child plan a meal for the next week and learn to cook that meal.

I put little tags at the bottom to keep track of when they earn money or extra tablet/wii time. 

I LOVE how it turned out!! 

Supplies Needed:
1) 12x12 scrapbook paper
2) White card stock for printing chore dots
3) 1 inch circle paper punch
4) Bottle caps (I used ones FLAT bottle caps by Spare Parts )
5) Clear Round Epoxy Stickers (Spare Parts)
6) Craft Magnets (for under scrapbook paper and bottle caps I used 1/2" round self adhesive magnets. I used heavier strength 3/4" ceramic magnets for the chalk stickers) 
7) Chalk Labels (I used La Petites 3-D sticker)
8) Double Sided Mounting Squares (to attached dots to inside of bottle caps)

I had a ton of fun making this for kids! Lets hope they have has much fun helping around the house!! They are already asking me about it but I told them that we would discuss it closer to school getting out.
-Kriss :)

No comments:

Post a Comment